SNAP logoDo you Qualify for Food Support?

SNAP Facts and Resources

Many people are eligible for SNAP
Contrary to what you might have heard, SNAP is for individuals and families of all ages, homeowners, renters, and even people without a permanent address. You can be working, unemployed, or a college student. You don’t need a current photo ID. The only requirements are related to household income. You can see if you might eligible for SNAP using Bridge to Benefits or click here.

SNAP is powerful and easy to use
In Minnesota, the money you get in SNAP benefits is put on an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, which you can use just like a debit card. SNAP benefits can be used at participating grocery stores, convenience stores, and even some farmer’s markets, including CAD's own! Receiving even a relatively small amount of SNAP benefits can have a big impact on your ability to make ends meet.

Ready to take the next step?
If you’d like to start an application on your own, you can use the ApplyMN online interface. If you’d like help, you can contact Megan or Karen to set up an appointment to fill out application forms. The following documents are usually required for the application, however there is some flexibility in the requirements, and required documents can be added to an application later. In other words, don’t let a lack of documentation stop you from starting the process.

  • At least one form of ID showing name and address (passport, drivers license, voter registration card, etc).
  • Documentation of income:
    • Social Security numbers for all household members
    • If you’re employed: pay stubs from the last two months
    • If you’re receiving unemployment benefits: unemployment compensation award letter
    • If you receive Social Security, SSI, or pension benefits: copies of checks or benefit statements
    • If you’re self employed: income tax statements and bookkeeping records
  • If you pay or receive child support:
    • Court order or child support statements
    • Cancelled checks for child support payments
    • Statements from the person to whom you pay support
    • Receipts for child support payments
  • If you or anyone in your household is elderly or disabled:
    • Itemized receipts showing payment of medical bills during the past year
    • Repayment agreements with physicians covering payments extending into the future
    • Outstanding medical bills (if these are not paid by insurance, Medical Assistance, or Medicare)
    • Medicare card showing “Part B” and “Part D” coverage